Indonesian law enforcers are determined to catch all responsible for the deadly bomb and gun attack on Jakarta, which has failed to dent the spirits of its defiant citizens.
Islamic State (IS) has taken responsibility for the assault that claimed the lives of two innocent people and five attackers at a busy intersection in the capital on Thursday.
Police suspect the mastermind is Indonesian IS recruit Bahrun Naim, an ex-prisoner from central Java believed to be in Raqqa, Syria.
In November, he wrote a blog post in praise of the Paris terror attacks, encouraging a similar event in Indonesia.
Police in December disrupted plans by a terror cell they believe was influenced by Naim and events in Paris – they had been planning a “concert” of attacks targeting police and foreigners.
Co-ordinating Security Minister Luhut Pandjaitan says police have the investigation in hand.
“It seems the police have seen the connecting thread, but I think I can’t or I’m not able to say more,” he told reporters on Friday.
National Police Spokesman Anton Charliyan says an IS flag was found among the possessions of one of the attackers.
Two of the five were previously convicted and jailed for terror offences.
Police know the whereabouts of further suspects, he said.
“We have them in our pocket and we can identify them – whether it be in Java or outside Java,” he said.
Three men were taken into custody in dawn raids on a house at Depok, West Java, however it has been reported this may have been an unrelated police operation.
At the scene of the attack, which played out between a Starbucks cafe and a traffic police booth, hundreds of citizens rallied on Friday, chanting “Kami Tidak Takut” (We are not afraid”).
“For our beloved city, we want to convey solidarity and our condolences to the victims,” a man with a loudspeaker said.
“We want to convey this message to the terrorists, they will never be able to conquer us.”
Jakarta woman Sri Rahayu, like others at the rally, was outraged at the “stupid” attackers.
She had prayed for the victims, and brought her granddaughter to march at the rally.
“We are not afraid, this must be fought against,” she told AAP.
“If I were a man, I would have beat those men, I’m so upset.
“How could there be such cruel men? Their minds are weak.”
Several nations including Australia extended support to Jakarta, however Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi says the situation is under control.
“The quick response within three hours was greatly appreciated by international world,” she said, referring to the police operation at the scene.
In a statement late on Thursday, IS said: “A group of soldiers of the caliphate in Indonesia targeted a gathering from the crusader alliance that fights the Islamic State in Jakarta”.
The attack marks the first time IS has attacked in Indonesia, home to the world’s largest population of Muslims.
Police have been largely successful in destroying domestic militant cells since the Bali bombings of 2002 and 2005.